Tuesday, September 23, 2008

"Cecilia" by Simon & Garfunkel

I always liked the song Cecilia by Simon and Garfunkel but that was not the reason I chose the name for Cecilia.

Through research I found that the song is interpreted by many to be about a lover but another interpretation is that it is more about the frustration of a songwriter's inspiration. Saint Cecilia is the Patron Saint of Musicians and Simon mentions her again in the song "The Coast" from the Album The Rhythm of the Saints: "A family of musicians took shelter for the night in the little harbor church of St. Cecilia."

Paul Simon also had a Black Lab named Cecilia and Art Garfunkel had reported that Simon never dated anyone named Cecilia and the song was probably about his dog.

I just like the song so I added it to this blog.

No comments: